Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Europe Trip

As I mentioned some time back, I'm going to be giving a series of talks in Europe. It occurred to me that it would be worth listing them, in case any readers of this blog were in places where I was going to speak and interested in coming. I have not checked with all of the sponsoring organizations as to which talks are open to the public and which are not, so if you do want to come, check first. Here is my schedule:

1/14: 7 P.M., Libertarian Alliance, London Institute of Education, off Russell square, Rm S 16, Thornhaugh Street, London, WC1B 5EA   

1/15: 2:00 Oxford, Oxford Libertarian Society, Christ Church Rm 1  

1/15: 6:30 London, IEA,  2Lord North St, Westminster  

1/16: 12:30 Buckingham University, Hunter street campus. Anthony the Rothschild building.
Global Warming, Population and the Problem With Externality Arguments


1/16: 6:00 London, Adam Smith institute, National Liberal Club, Whitehall Place, Charing Cross 

1/18: 11:45 Zurich, Avenir Suisse, Zunfthaus zur Meisen 
Market Failure: An Argument Both for and Against Government

1/21: 6:00 Milan, Istituto Bruno Leoni, Residenza Vignale, Via Enrico Toti, 2

1/22: 5 P.M.  Milan, Bocconi University (arranged by IBL)
Market Failure, Considered as an Argument both for and Against Government

1/24: 7 P.M. Madrid, Fundacion Rafael Pino, Paseo de Ia Castellana, 37. 28046 
Market Failure: an Argument both for and Against Government

1/25: 8:00. Madrid, Rojano CenterOpportunities and Threats on Our Technological Future.
 
1/26: 8 P.M.  Madrid, Juan De Mariana Institute,  Angel Street, 2
General Discussion

1/28: 9 P.M. Barcelona, Restaurant (Saint-Rémy of Barcelona), Carrer Iradier, number 12. General Discussion.

1/29: 6:30 P.M. King’s College, Strand Campus, Strand, London WC2R 2LS;
What Economics Is and Why it isn't Boring

Again, note that, while some of these are open lectures, I don't think all of them are, so you should check with the sponsors if possible. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot Finland?

Tim Worstall said...

Something of a pity, I'm ASI involved so certainly could have come to that one. But I am in the Czech Rep over the relevant time.....

Pressures of the day job and all that.

Anonymous said...

Are you planning to record and put on the web any of these talks ?

David Friedman said...

1. I gave a series of talks in Helsinki a few years ago, but they weren't public lectures. I think I have enough to keep me busy for this trip.

2. I plan to audio record the talks. I expect some of them will be video recorded and webbed, but that's not under my control.

Godfrey Miller said...

Do you have any thoughts about the prosecution of the late Aaron Swartz?

astrolabio said...

too bad the train ticket from Rome to Milan is so expensive.

Benjamin. said...

I must say I'm a bit surprised you haven't dealt with the big issue yet. (Unless you posted about it already and I missed it.)

Godfrey Miller said...

JSTOR didn't pursue a civil suit, so the Aaron Swartz prosecution would never have taken place if we had abolished criminal law:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/13/01/aarons-law/267247/

tombr said...

David, I just wanted to repeat how much I enjoyed your talk on 16 January at the National Liberal Club (I am the guy who mentioned sports and rules as a subject). I hope the rest of your trip goes well and that you are not inconvenienced by the snow.

Rgds.

Tom Burroughes

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

I am the manager of the Mises Institute of Barcelone. We are absolutely disconcerted about your cancel of the dinner of next Monday (according Oliver Gil Serrano, Director of Innisfree, your Spanish publisher). We have do an huge effort to organize and convocate people in 3 days, (young people, from the Mont-Pelerin...), and we believe that a libertarian should respect accord and deals.

Please, confirm by this post that you cancel definitively the special dinner of next Monday 28th in Barcelona. O byu mail to info@institutomiss.org. A lot of interesting people wait you in Barcelona.

Eugenia España, manager
Instituto von Mises de Barcelona

Anonymous said...

Correct mail: info@institutomises.org

David Friedman said...

Re Mises institute in Barcelona:

1. The dinner is now happening.

2. I didn't "cancel" the dinner, since at the point when you posted your comment I had never agreed to do it and indeed did not know that you were expecting me to do it.

Since it turned out that the mistake was not your fault--it was due to someone else I was dealing with mistakenly telling you I would do it and never telling me he had done so--I agreed to do it after discovering the situation.

(this is for other people reading the comments--the poster already knows due to email exchanges since she posted)

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to watch or listen to the talks held in Spain. Do you know if any of them were recorded?

David Friedman said...

Re questions on recording--I've put in links for talks that I have recordings of or that other people have webbed. If anyone knows of webbed recordings of talks of mine from the trip that I don't have links to, let me know.

Andreas Collvin said...

Great talks.