Monday, October 28, 2013

My Travel Plans: DC and China

Some time back I posted my plans for a trip to Europe, offered to give talks while I was there, and ended up giving quite a lot of them. I am planning two more trips this spring so thought I would try the same approach again.

The first is to Washington D.C. on March 13th. I won't be teaching classes next semester, so should be reasonably flexible in my timing. If someone in the D.C. area would like a talk the day before or day after, let me know. Other locations either not too far from D.C. or on likely routes to or from there are also possible.

The second and more interesting trip is to Xiamen in China, where I will be attending a conference on May 17th to 18th. If I am going to go that far—the flight time is about 24 hours each way—I expect I will want to spend more than two days visiting places. Shanghai, Tokyo, Korea and Taiwan are more or less en route, Hong Kong not that far away. Going or coming via Singapore, Australia and/or New Zealand increases time and cost substantially, so not worth doing for one talk but might be for several.

12 comments:

TJIC said...

> The first is to Washington D.C.

I presume you're taking along a very old ring that you want to melt?

David Friedman said...

Been done.

Unfortunately, no victory is for ever.

24601 said...

I could probably arrange around five talks around Australia, and maybe a few in NZ.

The dates for the annual ALS Friedman Conference haven't been fixed yet, so we could try to make that coincide.

I can certainly keep you busy if you make it to our strange little country. The trick will be coordinating the pennies.

john.humphreys99@gmail.com

David Friedman said...

I think it may depend on what other responses I get. If nobody else in Asia is interested, I might figure on a week in China and a week in Australia/NZ. But I think two weeks is about my limit, so if I can do a bunch of talks without diverting down south I probably will.

Anonymous said...

nothing in Germany? specifically around Cologne/Bonn area? ;-(

Tibor said...

Anonymous: Germany is not quite an Asian country is it? :)

Anonymous said...

There are a fair number of AnCaps in DC. For my part I'd love to hear you speak, and I'm sure the others would as well.

Mike Fagan said...

I'd love for you to come and give a talk at a University in Taiwan - I'll make some enquiries this weekend, but I can't promise anything.

Unknown said...

David, the Lion Rock Institute in HK would live to host a visit here and introduce you to friends in China who would also have interest.

Ron Manners said...

David,
We met at MPS Iceland and Jerusalem so how about this time Perth, Western Australia?
(Perth is a quick flight from our cousins at Lion Rock in Hong Kong) We are talking to John Humphreys about your Australian visit and I'm sure that IPA will handle Melbourne and CIS Sydney
Please keep us in touch with your program as it comes together and we will put something together for Perth
regards
Ron www.mannkal.org
ron.manners@mannkal.org

Casey Lartigue, Jr. said...

Dear David,

The newly established Freedom Factory in Seoul would love to host you at an event.

cjl(@)post.harvard.edu

Regards,

Casey Lartigue, Jr.

Casey Lartigue, Jr. said...

Dear David,

The newly established Freedom Factory in Seoul would love to host you at an event.

cjl(@)post.harvard.edu

Regards,

Casey Lartigue, Jr.