Saturday, July 06, 2019

Andre Norton on C.J. Cherryh

I recently started rereading Gate if Ivrel, C.J. Cherryh’s first novel. The introduction is by Andre Norton, at the time a very successful author. 

Cherryh, in that novel, is doing the sort of thing Norton did, but doing it much better. And Norton, to her immense credit, realizes it and is willing to say so. The end of the introduction:
My personal question rises:
“Why can’t I write like this?”
I very much wish that I did.
How many successful writers would have the humility to say that, in print, about a new author?

3 comments:

The Original CC said...

It reminds me of the time you told people to spend their time reading Slate Star Codex instead of reading your blog!

Brian Martinez said...

John D. MacDonald (famous for his crime thrillers) wrote an introduction to Stephen King's first short story collection, Night Shift, in which he admitted "hating" that King wrote far better at 30 than McDonald did at the same age.

http://www.krypta-smierci.neostrada.pl/ebooks/Stephen%20King%20-%20Night%20Shift%20-%20Introduction.html

Tom Bridgeland said...

Norton was too modest. Her work was very different, and very poignant. I remember almost nothing of any of the Cherryh novels I have read, though I recall enjoying them. I have many specific memories from Norton novels, which I read in my early teens, the age group it was aimed at.